28 August 2008

KUYT 1 - Standard Liege 0







Rafa Benitez's £12million outlay on Dirk Kuyt has been questioned more than once over the past two years, but the Holland striker repaid every last penny as Liverpool took their customary route to victory at Anfield last night.
Despairing Liverpool followers were beginning to brace themselves for the unthinkable of Champions League elimination, as extra time neared a tension-filled finale, but they should have known better.
Winning goals do not normally come much later than the 94th minute strike from Steven Gerrard that floored Middlesbrough on Saturday, but anything is possible with this Liverpool side.
They may be some aspects of their general play that have been found wanting so far this season, but persistence is clearly not one of them. Kuyt illustrated as much with a close-range 118th-minute finish that carried Liverpool into today's group stage draw, just as a penalty shoot-out seemed inevitable.
Liverpool may have fond memories of spot-kicks, after their famous 2005 triumph over AC Milan in Istanbul, but they would not have relished a rerun after being outfought and outmanoeuvred for much of a nervy Champions League third qualifying round return leg.
The Belgian champions would have fancied their chances, just as they had throughout both games, but they were denied the opportunity by the sort of dramatic finish that has become Liverpool's trademark in Europe.
--------------------------------
Ok above was a news report I just cut & paste. I find that the statement is telling the real truth of what Kuyt has become to our club. A man who is a very hard working player. You don't have to expect him to score like Torres because we have Torres. But run Kuyt will, and so run and run he goes. When he run, not only he chase the ball but win it. So his naturalised position now is right wing. So he is very good there. And last night, he scored. Great!
Honestly, I didn't watch the game. I was away for two days and my flight touch down in KLIA at 9.30pm then had to go to Cyberjaya ( I left my truck there) before driving home to Shah Alam. I arrived just 5 minutes to 11pm. But the battery level of my body is almost empty. I took my shower and read a few pages... then KABOOMMMMM... I decided early that I can't stay on waiting for the 3am kick-off. Of course to my delight, the result goes to us. In fact, Manaf send me a rather puzzling text ``stupid americans! How can you decide to buy players depending on the outcome of such an important game like this?''. It was 5.33am as stated in the text.
A bit confusing. Did we win? Did we go through? Not with Manaf's text. He didn't tell me anything about the result. It's 7.40am. I have to get dressed. Instead of going to the shower, I switch on the computer. hmmm.... the game was `front page' on all the news portal. So Kuyt was the hero. Ok... Nice and it enlivened my tired week.
Next game is against Villa. hmm... another hard fought game? Carew will be waiting and Gareth Barry? aiyaaaa...

No comments:

EVA MENDEZ IS A KOP?

EVA MENDEZ IS A KOP?

The GOLDEN Team of Kenny Daglish

The GOLDEN Team of Kenny Daglish
If we have them now, say farewell to Arsenal, Man.U and Chelsea... if...