18 August 2007

Torres' dream to face Chelsea


By ERIC BEAUCHAMP

August 18, 2007

FERNANDO TORRES has warned Chelsea: I’m dying to face you!
Liverpool’s £21.5million star insists he has been targeting a showdown with the Blues since the day he signed.
Torres, 23, has barely been able to think about anything else other than his Anfield debut against one of the Kop’s biggest rivals.
The Spanish ace said: “The match against Chelsea at Anfield is the game that I’ve been most excited about playing in since I signed for Liverpool.
“It looks like the Champions League matches at Anfield and the big ones in the league like facing Chelsea will be indescribable.
“I’ve been told I have to be there in person to live and feel the moment when the fans at Anfield sing ‘You’ll never walk alone’.
“I haven’t heard the Liverpool fans singing a song for me yet but I hope to play well enough to convince them to dedicate a song for me.”
Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho considered signing Torres from Atletico Madrid last year before deciding the hitman’s services were not required.
But Kop chief Rafa Benitez had no doubts and now Torres knows he must prove his manager was right to make him the most expensive buy in Liverpool’s history.
Torres added: “I’ve noticed that as the club’s record signing people have a lot of desire to see me and they’ve placed a lot of hope in me.
“Their demands on me will come during the games. It’s true that if the first goal is a long time coming it could be added pressure.
“At the moment I don’t feel under pressure to score. It’s important to be integrating into the team and getting used to the style of play.
“I’ll try to make sure the goals come quickly as obviously that’s important but I’m focusing on doing what the coach asks of me. I’m sure of I do, then the goals will come.”
Torres was such a sensation in Spain as Atletico captain that he used to get mobbed wherever he went. But he is planning a walkabout through Liverpool’s city centre as he continues to get to know his new home — and the Scousers that adore him.
He revealed: “The fans are enthusiastic about me and always wish me the best. They’re really passionate about their team but, although they recognise you in the street, they don’t bother you.
“I want to see if I can walk through the town centre calmly. I’ve been here barely a month but everything is going easier than I thought.
“At the moment the most complicated thing is adapting to the style of play in the Premier League, which is more physical. In a month I’ve learned the basics to speak with my team-mates.”
Torres has been inundated with requests from Spain for tickets for the Chelsea cruncher — and he is hunting a mansion so he can accommodate the flood of visitors hoping to fly over.
He said: “Lots of people have asked me about coming to watch and so many of my Spanish friends support Liverpool now. I’m still in an apartment as I’ve seen various houses but I haven’t decided yet. I’m looking for something big so a lot of people can come and visit.”
Torres made his Champions League debut in the 1-0 midweek win in Toulouse and has been with his new team-mates long enough to realise winning the Premiership after 17 barren seasons is what really counts.
He said: “I’m hungry not for just one title but for lots of trophies.
“I’m surrounded by great players here and Steven Gerrard is the best player I have ever trained with.
“It’s strange — I arrived thinking about the Champions League but, in the team, everyone is thinking about the Premier League.
“That’s because a lot of them won in Istanbul but haven’t won a title. Of course, neither have I. The club has gone 17 years without doing it and everyone believes this year could be the one.”

No comments:

EVA MENDEZ IS A KOP?

EVA MENDEZ IS A KOP?

The GOLDEN Team of Kenny Daglish

The GOLDEN Team of Kenny Daglish
If we have them now, say farewell to Arsenal, Man.U and Chelsea... if...