02 September 2007

PENNANT HOPES TO STAY IN FORM

Liverpool winger Jermaine Pennant overcame his disappointment at missing out on an England call-up to produce the sort of performance to make Steve McClaren think again.
The England boss went for Pennant's former Arsenal team-mate David Bentley when he named his squad for the upcoming Euro 2008 qualifiers with Isreal and Russia.
But Pennant accepts that all he can do is maintain the sort of form that made him man of the match as Liverpool outclassed the Barclays Premier League newcomers.
The Reds remain unbeaten and now find themselves top of the division for the first time in five years after producing their biggest Anfield win since 1999.
The gulf in class was apparent as Derby struggled to compete with Liverpool's expensively assembled squad.
For Pennant it was the opportunity to go through his repertoire of tricks down the flank with a fine display which prompted boss Rafael Benitez to suggest his former Birmingham winger should be in McClaren's squad.
Pennant, who came of age in a Liverpool shirt with an excellent display in the Champions League final last season, said: "I wanted to continue the form I achieved towards the end of last season, and I feel I have done that.
"The boss is pleased with me, my form is good at the moment and my morale is high and I want to continue that.
"When you go to a new club like I did last season, you have to learn the way the boss wants you to play, you have to fit in with your new colleagues. Nobody just clicks straight away.
"(Cristiano) Ronaldo at Manchester United, Thierry Henry at Arsenal, they both took time. But I now feel comfortable and I know my role.
"I know my job in the team and I feel part of it now. I have confidence and I have decided to just go for it."
He certainly did that, tormenting both Derby flanks constantly. Fernando Torres and Xabi Alonso scored twice each with Andriy Voronin and Ryan Babel adding the others as they outclassed the Rams.
Pennant believes that the growing strength of Benitez's squad explains why Liverpool have produced their best start to a season since 1998.
He said: "It is a stronger squad this season, there's two people for every position at least. We have four class strikers and any combination of those lads will get goals.
"Now it is a big squad and very strong. As for me, it is just confidence now and I am linking better with everyone.
"I am also getting my defensive work right, you have to do that even if I don't like it.
"My confidence is good, every game I play now I believe I can produce. My final delivery is good. I used to take a few too many touches, now I know exactly where the ball should be going, straight away.
"And playing against good opposition I know I have to keep producing week in week out.
"And I don't mind what wing I am on. Right or, like against Derby, on the left. I am confident I can do both jobs, and if that helps me get into the England squad, that's fine."
He added: "I know the boss said I should be in the England squad, and that is nice to hear, it is good praise from the gaffer. Maybe with a few more people behind me, I might get in.
"But I know I have to continue producing this form week in week out to be considered. Playing at Liverpool I know I have a chance.
"David Bentley has got in as a winger, and I'm pleased for him. We used to play together at Arsenal and I know he's a good player.
"When I see him next I shall be telling him he can't do what I can do, just to wind him up. But I'll be wishing him all the best, he deserves it."

.

.

utusanLFC : surely he was the man-of-the-match and it would be sweeter if Kuyt could convert all the chances handed to him beautifully by Pennant. Keep up the good work and you'll be in the England squad... not that I care much! (oh yea... lest I've told you guys... this blog is dedicated only for LFC and doesn't give a bit about country teams. That's for other blog.... hahahahah

No comments:

EVA MENDEZ IS A KOP?

EVA MENDEZ IS A KOP?

The GOLDEN Team of Kenny Daglish

The GOLDEN Team of Kenny Daglish
If we have them now, say farewell to Arsenal, Man.U and Chelsea... if...